Sausages that sizzle
PCC Taste | August 2012
We barbecue year-round in the Pacific Northwest, but isn't it nice when we don't get wet? This summer, find lip-smacking, locally made sausages — all free of antibiotics, preservatives and hormones — in the meat department and get them sizzling on the grill!
PCC Sausages, made locally by Mondo & Sons for PCC, are jam-packed with delicious flavor. They're available fresh in mild or hot Italian, with turkey, pork or chicken. Other tasty varieties include Lemon Herb Chicken and Sundried Tomato. Animals are fed no animal by-products.
Uli's Famous Sausage Inc. is owned and operated by German master butcher Uli Lengenberg, who makes his sausages in Pike Place Market. Try the Fresh German Bratwurst — a real kid favorite — or his delectable Fresh Lamb Sausage, Chorizo Picante or Cajun Andouille. All are free of artificial coloring.
3 Sisters Family Farms' grass-fed beef franks come from this fourth generation farm on Whidbey Island owned by the Muzzall family, long known for their sustainable practices. The deeply satisfying franks have 75 percent less fat than grain-fed varieties and are packed with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Because of the lower fat content, these dogs need to be cooked slower, over a medium flame.
Field Roast, another local company, makes vegan sausages that are a great alternative when you don't want meat. Sausages are made with ground grains, fresh vegetables, herbs and spices. Field Roast has a flavorful Italian sausage made with eggplant, fennel, red wine, garlic and sweet peppers. Or try their spicy Mexican Chipotle or savory Smoked Apple Sage.
Link Lab Artisan Meats is a new company in Wallingford where owner David Pearlstein sources only humanely and locally raised animals, and his scrumptious sausages contain no preservatives (except salt) and no fillers. Batches are hand mixed and each link is spun individually. Also try: Rosemary Sage Chicken, Fremont Beer Bratwurst, Chipotle Tequila Pork Sausage, and Chorizo. (Currently available at Greenlake and Fremont stores only.)
- "All the Good Stuff" Northwest Celebration Turkey Stuffing
- Asparagus with Penne Pasta, Tuscan Style
- Big, Easy Jambalaya
- Breakfast Dog
- Breakfast Frittata
- Cassoulet with Roasted Root Vegetables and Caper-Basil Oil
- Cast Iron Skillet Greens, Pasta and Sausage Sauté
- Chicken, Andouille and Sweet Pepper Jambalaya
- Easy Polenta Toss
- Fall Harvest Lasagna "Cupcakes"
- Grilled Sausages with Condiment Bar
- Italian Dog
- Kitchen Sink One-Pot Pasta
- Northwest Seafood Soup with Winter Greens and Sausage
- PCC Black-eyed Peas with Sausage and Kale
- PCC Chorizo con Frijoles Negros
- PCC Country Gravy
- Red Beans and Rice
- Red Flannel Hash
- Sage Breakfast Gravy
- Sausage, Lentil and Greens Soup
- Sizzling Grilled Sausages
- South of the Border Dog
- Spicy Kale and Sausage Soup
- Sweet Potato Hash
- Swiss Chard and Sausage Lasagna
- Thai Stuffed Mushrooms
- Toasted Cornbread and Apple Stuffing
- Warm Apple and Chicken Sausage Salad with Rosemary and Toasted Hazelnuts
- Winter Greens Casserole
All the fixin's
The classic sausage bar of relish, mustard, ketchup, sauerkraut and onions is renowned, but being daring has its pleasant surprises.
Mixing up the classics
Try Firefly Kitchens Sauerkraut Caraway, Patak's Brinjal Eggplant Relish, Mama Lil's Honkin' Hot Peppalilli Mustard Pickle Relish, or pick up some rich and savory Onion Relish from the PCC Deli.
- Chicago: mustard, onions, sweet pickle relish, tomatoes, pickled sport peppers, celery salt and dill pickle spear piled high
- Carolinas: mustard, slaw, onions and chili
- Korean: kimchi on top, steamed rice on the side
- Mexican: chorizo dog with green chiles and guacamole