PCC Taste | March 2011
Great flavor from an ancient tradition
Since biblical times, humans have sprouted and germinated certain seeds, grains and beans to make them easier to digest and their nutrients more readily available. Lucky for us, many foods made with sprouted ingredients taste great, too, with a more intense essence and toothsome texture. Adding sprouted foods to your diet is easy: Simply sub in the sprouted version of bread, cereal, tofu, tortillas and other ingredients for your usual ones.
Here's a sampling of sprouted foods that you'll find at PCC. Many are kept refrigerated for maximum freshness.
- Tortillas — Corn and flourless whole grain from Food for Life's Ezekiel brand. Great for quesadillas.
- Breads — The Ezekiel line offers a more familiar texture, while Manna Breads are dense, moist and subtly sweet. Dave's Killer Bread offers a sprouted version of its Killer Good Seed loaf and Silver Hills breads offers sprouted bagels.
- English muffins — In original and cinnamon raisin by Food for Life's Ezekiel brand, a hearty breakfast choice.
- Cereal — Golden Flax and other flavors by Food for Life's Ezekiel brand.
- Grains and beans — Including packaged quinoa, green lentils and mung beans by truRoots.
- Brown rice — Available germinated in our bulk section, by truRoots.
- Tofu — Sprouted tofu from Wildwood.
by Karen Gaudette, PCC Taste, February 2011