Get fresh with pineapple
Pineapple offers much more than a glorious taste of the tropics — it's a rich source of manganese, which helps our bodies produce energy. This sweet, fragrant, juicy fruit also promotes a healthy immune system and digestion. In the kitchen, it marries well with sweet, savory, creamy and spicy ingredients alike. Look for fresh organic pineapple this month at PCC, from Maui and other parts of paradise.
Think pineapple to enhance an ingredient's inherent sweetness (such as ham) or to balance bitterness (leafy greens).
- Combine fresh or frozen pineapple with shredded, fresh dino kale leaves and blend for an invigorating smoothie.
- Sprinkle slabs or hunks of pineapple with chili powder and salt to taste. Grill until lightly browned for a treat that's spicy/salty/sweet.
- Pair grilled pineapple with blue cheese in a salad or layer sliced pineapple atop a blue-cheese burger for extra decadence.
- Combine diced pineapple and red onion with a seeded serrano chile, cilantro and sea salt for a tropical salsa great atop fish, chicken or pork. Add black beans, corn and cumin for a heartier salsa.
- Mix pineapple juice with light soy sauce and brown sugar for a flavorful, tenderizing marinade for chicken, pork or beef.
Find even more inspiration in our Recipe Database.
- Beef and Veggie Shish Kabobs
- Chilled Fresh Peach Soup
- Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Chocolate Chocolate Fondue
- Coconut-Berry Popsicles
- Creamy Tropical Smoothie
- Curried Pineapple Fried Rice with Grilled Prawns
- Fruity Marinade
- Green Dream Pops
- Green Goodness Juice
- Hawaii 5-O Smoothie
- Millet Pudding
- Obama's Favorite Hawaiian Salad
- PCC Indonesian Rice
- Peach-Raspberry Popsicles
- Pineapple Coconut Scones
- Seasonal Fruit Platter with Lavender-Strawberry-Champagne Sauce
- Spicy Tofu Pineapple Rice Salad
- Super Hero Salad
- Sweet and Chunky Satsuma-Cranberry Sauce
- Tropical Blueberry Smoothie
- Watermelon-Pineapple Popsicles
- Winter Squash Muffins
By Karen Gaudette, PCC Taste, June 2011