Get fresh with cabbage
There's no denying that cabbage isn't the most popular kid in the cruciferous class.
It can be daunting to deal with due to its size, and some may give it a bad rap for being boring. But this vegetable packs a whole lot of nutritional punch and can be prepared in a variety of delicious ways. Rich in antioxidants and containing anti-inflammatory properties, cabbage is believed to help cancer prevention. It's also an excellent source of vitamins C and K, and it's a great source of fiber and folate.
Try these easy suggestions for cooking with cabbage:
- Sauté slowly in butter, add salt, pepper and walnuts.
- Sauté with garlic and red pepper flakes, and finish with a squeeze of lemon.
- Blanch shredded cabbage, drain and sauté in olive oil with caraway seeds until crisp-tender, then mix in fresh breadcrumbs toasted in olive oil.
- Cut cabbage into quarters and core. Grill in foil packets with salt, pepper and butter.
- Simmer chopped cabbage with onion, garlic, chicken or vegetable stock, and potatoes for a hearty soup.
More great recipes
- 5-Color Quinoa Salad
- All-natural Egg Dyes
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Beef Sukiyaki
- Classic Braised Corned Beef and Cabbage with Roasted Root Vegetables, Leeks and Cranberry Horseradish Sauce
- Classic Cabbage Kasha Soup
- Collard Green and Cabbage Slaw
- Elizabeth Tatarinoff's Winter Borscht
- Fresh Spring Rolls with Almond-Ginger Dipping Sauce
- German Cabbage
- Goldie's Winter Greens Salad
- Green & Orange Cabbage Salad
- Massaged Kale Salad with Pumpkin Seeds and Sesame Oil
- Mushroom Broth with Fresh Herb Pesto
- Napa Slaw
- Northwest-style Slaw
- Oven-baked Corned Beef Dinner
- PCC Coleslaw
- PCC Collard Slaw
- PCC Rainbow Salad
- PCC Spicy Tofu and Spelt
- PCC Three Sisters Salad
- Peruvian-style Chicken Taco Filling
- Peruvian-style Tempeh Tacos
- Por Pia Sod (Fresh Vegetable Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce)
- Red Cabbage
- Salad With Chard and Seasonal Greens
- Savory Salad Rolls with Creamy Almond Dipping Sauce
- Seasonal Slaw
- Sizzling Coriander Shrimp Tacos with Handmade Corn Tortillas
- Spiced Fish Tacos with Creamy Lime Sauce
- Spicy Steak, Cucumber & Lime Salad with Cilantro & Thai Basil
- Super Hero Salad
- Super Simple Slaw
- Tantalizing Tacos
- Thai Summer Salad
- Vegetable Barley Salad
- Warm Cabbage Salad
- White Bean Minestrone
- Wrap and Roll