Best meats for stew and chili
When the weather turns brisk, it's time to braise and simmer and stew. PCC is your source for high-quality, tender and delicious meats just right for your cold-weather stews, soups and chili.
You'll find grass-fed and organic options from trusted ranchers including tender local lamb from Umpqua Valley Lamb, locally raised PCC Organic Chicken, and organic, grass-fed, pastured Eel River Organic Beef. Time to start stirring the pot.
Cooking tips: build flavor from scratch
Build layers of flavor with your own chicken stock from scratch, or browse our shelves for wholesome soup stocks from Imagine Foods, Pacific Natural Foods and Rapunzel.
You'll find oodles of squash, mushrooms, potatoes, root vegetables and other fresh, local, organic winter produce, fresh butter and all else you'll want on hand for stellar stewing.
- Lamb — A lamb stew can be one of life's greatest pleasures. Try this fragrant, flavorful recipe from one of our PCC Cooks instructors.
- Beef — We grind our beef twice daily so you're always going home with the best. For stews, try chuck roast, a cut that turns out fork tender in fragrant, savory recipes like this Braised Beef Stew with Mixed Mushrooms.
- Chicken — Spice up your night with Chicken and Smoked Sausage Creole Jambalaya. Or, go for homemade comfort with Chicken Vegetable Dumpling Soup. For the best value, start with a whole, organic or all-natural chicken and make use of all its parts.
- Turkey — Try our Diestel ground turkey in place of ground beef for a subtle change in your chili that's lower in fat. Or, try shredded turkey in this delightful chipotle chili.
- Seafood — Try a fish stew for a pleasing change of pace from heavier cold-weather fare, like this recipe from Africa or this Brazilian delight.