Oregon's Wild Harvest

Randal Buresh and Pamela Martin

Producer Profile

Producers: Randal Buresh and Pamela Martin

Located in: Sandy, Ore.

Supplying PCC since: 2001

Committed to quality: Oregon's Wild Harvest's herbs are organically grown and cultivated, processed and shipped on-site. Everything they ship is less than a year old.

Available at PCC: Choose from more than 50 herbal supplements from Oregon's Wild Harvest including kava, dandelion root, milk thistle and echinacea.

Herbalism meets science: A food scientist and a naturopathic physician are part of the staff at Oregon's Wild Harvest. They carefully test the herbs at their in-house laboratory for the presence of contaminants.

As a registered nurse and physician's assistant for 18 years, Randal Buresh was concerned about the overuse of pharmaceuticals and surgery to treat illness. He started growing and working with herbs to find a less invasive way to improve health.

Buresh says, "I experimented with friends, neighbors, cats, dogs — anybody that would hold still — and it worked." With five acres of fertile Oregon land, Buresh and his wife, Pamela Martin, laid the groundwork for Oregon's Wild Harvest as a way to combine their interest in natural medicine and herbalism with the desire to raise their family at home.

Since they began shipping fresh herbs in the early 1990s, their company has expanded to encompass 40 acres in the mountain foothills of Sandy, Oregon. They still live on the property and merely walk out the front door to start the workday. With a strong desire to ensure quality, their herbs are organically grown and cultivated, processed and shipped on-site.

Buresh says, "We want as much control from the seed to the bottle as possible." About 25 percent of the herbs used in their products are carefully and sustainably wild-harvested from local forests and mountains. Most of the other 75 percent comes from the farm or other growers.

Oregon's Wild Harvest is situated comfortably on the corner where herbalism and science intersect. A food scientist and a naturopathic physician are part of the 20-person staff. As a certified organic producer, Oregon's Wild Harvest does not utilize fumigants or irradiation to sterilize herbs.

I love the healing process and want to make sure the herbs work. Everything we ship is less than a year old, so you know it's fresh plant material — live and full of energy. Then, it works as nature intended. — Randal Buresh

Instead, it carefully tests the herbs at the in-house laboratory. After the herbs are dried, they're tested for the presence of salmonella, E. coli, yeast, mold and heavy metals. The tests are repeated a second and third time after the herbs are milled and encapsulated.

In an industry where plant quality is always an issue, Randal, Pamela and their team put a lot of focus on proper growing, harvesting and post-harvesting techniques. They guarantee their herbs are the correct genus and species. They perform extensive research to harvest herbs at the optimal potency, when high levels of beneficial activity are present.

"I love the healing process and want to make sure the herbs work," Buresh says. "Everything we ship is less than a year old, so you know it's fresh plant material — live and full of energy. Then, it works as nature intended."

Visit Oregon's Wild Harvest for more information.

Sound Consumer, October 2002

More about: health and body care products, herbs, supplements