Grace Harbor Farms
Producers: Tim and Grace Lukens
Located in: Custer, Wash.
Supplying PCC since: 2009
Supplies PCC with: Cream-top (non-homogenized) whole-milk yogurt from their herd of Guernsey cows.
Coming full circle: Tim Lukens grew up on his grandparents' farm just a few miles away, gathering eggs and milking cows. He swore he'd never return to the hard work of dairy farming, then found himself doing just that in his 50s when he and wife Grace began keeping goats in 1999.
Guernsey milk: Tim says they chose to work with Guernsey milk due to its rich flavor and high levels of A2 beta-casein that some say aids digestion (this protein also is found in high levels in goat's milk). The golden color of milk from Guernsey cows is a result of high beta-carotene content.
From a hobby to a passion
What happens to a dream deferred? In the case of dairy farmers Tim and Grace Lukens, it re-emerges years later to rave reviews.
The Lukens and their son, David, run Grace Harbor Farms, a small operation not far from the Canadian border. But PCC shoppers may better recognize them as the makers of luscious, cream-top yogurt crafted from the golden whole milk of Guernsey cows.
Customers rave that the yogurt is amazingly good and easy to digest, with a cream top thick enough to spread on toast. It’s free of stabilizers, with only milk, organic sugar and live active cultures (and pure vanilla extract in the vanilla version) on the ingredient list.
“I want to make a product that has life in it,” says Tim Lukens. To him, that means yogurt free of thickeners, additives and other extras often added to give it a “mouth appeal.”
“ It’s fun to make something that tastes so good. ” — Grace Lukens
“The comments and emails we’ve been getting ever since we started it have been a really, really pleasant surprise to us and we’re very thankful.”
Tim helped on his grandparents’ farm nearby as a child in the 1960s, gathering eggs and milking cows. It was such hard work he swore he’d never do it again, then found himself back at it in 1999, when he and Grace started keeping a small herd of goats to become more self-reliant.
The hobby grew and grew. They considered making yogurt, then found themselves too busy producing goat milk and goat-milk based soaps and lotions to pursue it. In late 2008, Tim says, they remembered the idea and spent two months experimenting with Guernsey milk before they achieved their desired flavor and consistency. They’ve sold it since 2009 with milk from their four Guernsey cows, which eat an antibiotic-free diet of non-GMO barley and wheat.
The rave reviews keep coming from fans on postcards, email and voicemail, but the Lukens likely will keep their farm around the same size. They'd rather focus on quality than quantity, Tim says.
Says Grace Lukens: “It’s fun to make something that tastes so good.”
- Allspice Pickled Radish Tzatziki Sauce
- Apple Chicken Salad
- Banana-Maple Cornmeal Muffins
- Beet Mashed Potatoes
- Black-eyed Peas, Ham and Kale Salad
- Blue Kiwi Smoothie
- Breakfast Bonanza Beverages
- Butternut Black Bean Chili
- Cacik (Yogurt and Cucumber Dip)
- California Waldorf Salad
- Carrot Patties
- Carrot-Walnut Muffins
- Chipotle Chicken with Avocado Cream
- Chocolate Stout Cake with Coffee Ganache
- Cranberry-Lemon Muffins
- Creamy Cauliflower Leek Soup
- Creamy Tahini Dressing
- Crème Fraîche
- Crunchy Corn-Dill Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
- Cucumber Mint Raita
- Cucumber Raita
- Easy New Taste Potato Salad
- Fresh Fruit Wraps with Zesty Honey Yogurt
- Fresh Strawberries Layered with Greek-style Yogurt and Honey
- Fresh Strawberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Frozen Banana Pops
- Garbanzo Bean and Cauliflower Curry
- Garbanzo Salad with Herbed Yogurt Dressing
- Greek Yogurt with a Fig, Date and Honey Swirl
- Haydari (Sautéed Carrots in Creamy Yogurt-Garlic Sauce)
- Herb Yogurt Dip for Raw Vegetables
- Honey-Poached Pears with Crème Fraîche
- Ice Cream Pie
- Johnny Cakes
- Kiwi Coconut Bread
- Little Frozen Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits for School Lunches
- Mango Lassi
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Minted Yogurt Sauce
- Mixed Berry and Beet Smoothie
- Orange Coconut Pancakes with Berries
- PCC Deli Goldie's Dressing
- Peach-Raspberry Popsicles
- Peachy Keen Smoothie
- Pear Galette
- Persian Eggplant and Yogurt Dip
- Potatoes Roasted in Parchment Purses Topped with Pesto
- Protein Pops
- Pulled Pork Tacos with Mango-Jicama Salad
- Ranch Dressing
- Revani (Semolina Cake)
- Rich and Spicy Dark Chocolate Pudding
- Roasted Carrot and Pear Soup with Ginger Crème Fraîche and Pistachios
- Roasted Chicken Breasts with Chickpeas, Tomatoes and Paprika
- Roasted Cumin Carrots
- Seasonal Slaw
- Seasonal Squash Soup
- Smoky Black Bean Soup
- Soothing Oatmeal Mask
- Spiced Fish Tacos with Creamy Lime Sauce
- Spicy Yogurt Topping
- Strawberry Quesadillas
- Strawberry-Banana Popsicles
- Summer Berry Napoleons with Puff Pastry and Honey Greek-style Yogurt
- Summer Fruit Gazpacho
- The Other Carrot Cake!
- Tomato, Curry and Rice Soup
- Tropical Blueberry Smoothie
- Tzatziki Sauce with Radishes and Cucumbers
- Yogurt-Raisin Pie