Tieton Farm & Creamery
Producers: Ruth and Lori Babcock
Located in: Tieton, Wash.
Supplying PCC since: 2010
Supplies PCC with: Creamy, decadent chèvre made in small batches with milk from their herd of pastured goats and sheep. Typically available from April to October.
An ever-growing menagerie: The Babcocks also raise pigs, turkeys, chickens and ducks on their 21-acre spread in Tieton, Wash.
A perfect partnership: Ruth Babcock loves to farm and cares for their livestock; Lori Babcock, a gifted cook, makes the cheese from the pails of fresh milk Ruth carries in each morning.
Dairy goodness from the ground up
The sheep and goats watch Ruth Babcock’s every move as she strides through their pen, stooping to pet a ewe or shoo away an overly curious kid. They know their favorite moment is almost here: When she lifts their enclosure and frees them to surge toward lush, fresh pasture for grazing.
It’s a daily ritual at Tieton Farm & Creamery, a 21-acre spread tucked in a corner of the sunny Yakima Valley owned by Ruth and her partner, Lori Babcock.
Lori blends fresh goat and sheep’s milk from their herds to create cool, mild, creamy chèvre, hand crafting each cheese in a gleaming room with views of the nearby rolling hills. Ruth brings the milk in each morning and manages their ever-growing menagerie outside: Sheep, goats, turkeys, chickens, pigs and ducks.
The pair, most recently of Seattle, launched their farming career back in the last decade in Bellevue as Emerald City Pastures, raising vegetables and making goat cheese while both holding down jobs in the tech industry. They moved to tiny Tieton (rhymes with biotin) in early 2010 to try farming full time.
“In both places we lived I turned pretty much every inch into gardens,” Ruth says. “And she took whatever I grew and just made amazing, wonderful food … that’s how we spent our spare time, our hobby time. So we really just decided we’d really like to do this for our next career. That’s how we got into it, just the love of good food and growing it ourselves.”
Between the months of April and October, find their artisanal, local chèvre in the PCC Deli in four delicious varieties: Plain, smoked paprika, black pepper and cumin, just right sprinkled into a bread salad, melty atop a pizza or piled onto warm bruschetta.
Light and creamy, chevre adds a pleasant tang to salads, pasta and more.
- Alehouse Pepper Smoked Salmon Linguine
- Almond-Thyme Tart with Pear Compote and Chèvre
- Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto
- Beet Burgers
- Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas
- Caramelized Fig and Blue Cheese Canapés
- Chèvre Pasta Salad with Lemon-Tarragon Dressing
- Chèvre Torta with Smoked Salmon, Capers and Fresh Herbs
- Chèvre with Pistachios and Honey
- Chèvre-Wasabi Deviled Eggs
- Cornmeal Crust Pizza with Black Bean Hummus, Caramelized Shallots, Winter Greens, Chèvre and Manchego Cheese
- Edamame Arugula Soup
- Farro with Chicken Broth, Fennel and Chèvre
- Goat Cheese Pecan Spread
- Grilled Pizza Rustica with Grilled Local Vegetables and Arugula
- Grilled Wild Halibut with Greens, Hazelnuts and Sunflower Seed Pesto
- Indian Summer Savory Stuffed Peppers
- Individual Springtime Omelet Parisienne
- Individual White Corn and Chèvre Puddings
- Kitchen Sink One-Pot Pasta
- Layered Mediterranean Picnic Sandwich (for a Group!)
- Linguine with Spring Green Veggies Primavera
- Local cheese platter
- Northwest Arugula-Hazelnut Pesto
- Northwest Heirloom Tomato Tart with Caramelized Leeks and Local Cheeses
- Not So Traditional Caprese Salad
- PCC Pasta and Kale
- PCC Sockeye Classic Lox with Bagels, Dill and Capers
- Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Wrapped Asparagus
- Roasted Asparagus and Halibut Salad with Chèvre and Rhubarb Vinaigrette
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberry Vinaigrette, Hazelnuts and Chèvre Cheese
- Roasted Root Vegetables with Hazelnuts, Chèvre and Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Roasted Tomatoes, Peppers and Eggplant over Soft Polenta
- Salami and Chèvre Roll-Ups
- Savory Chèvre and Corn Pudding
- Savory Goat Cheese and Heirloom Tomato Tart with Tapenade Niçoise
- Savory Turnovers with Chard, Apples and Hazelnuts
- Spring Herb Frittata with Smoked Salmon and Chèvre Caper-Basil Caponata
- Strawberry, Spinach and Chèvre Salad
- Summer Harvest Tart with Heirloom Tomatoes
- The Elegant Parisian (pizza)
- Turkey and Squash Risotto
- Warm French Green Lentil Salad
- Warm Pears and Baby Greens with Chèvre Medallions
- Warm Root Vegetable Salad with Hazelnuts, Chèvre and Balsamic
- Warm Salad of Roasted Asparagus
- Wild Mushroom, Pear and Goat Cheese Turnovers
- Wild Salmon Fillets with Basil and Hazelnut Crust
- Winter Greens with Hazelnuts and Cranberries in Puff Pastry
- Zippy Pomegranate Salad