Equipment and materials
We work hard to make each store a healthy place for the people and products inside and a reflection of our commitment to natural resource conservation. When we plan a store and select the equipment and fixtures needed for the store to function, we pay attention to every detail.
Our newer locations — our Redmond store, the first grocery ever to earn LEEDŽ Gold certification, and our Edmonds store, on track for LEED Platinum — are outstanding examples of the use of green building features. We also select environmentally respectful equipment and materials for upgrading our older stores, as well, giving preference to those that are sourced locally and installed by local professionals.
Examples of eco-friendly equipment and materials incorporated into PCC stores include:
- Restroom countertops made from 100 percent recycled glass, manufactured by Seattle-based NovuStone™. (Redmond and Edmonds PCC)
- Deli and bathroom wall tiles handmade from 100 percent recycled glass by Seattle's Bedrock Industries. (Redmond and Edmonds PCC)
- Cookie-making equipment recycled from the Cougar Mountain Cookie Co., a local and longtime PCC vendor. (Edmonds PCC)
- Elevator designed to use a biodegradable hydraulic lubricant made from canola oil instead of a petroleum product. (Fremont PCC)
- Formaldehyde-free and very low VOCs paint and finishes. (All locations)