Zucchini Parmigiana with Basil and Capers
Serves: 6 to 8
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into lengthwise slices Add to list
- 2 eggs, beaten Add to list
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs Add to list
- Salt and pepper to taste Add to list
- Vegetable oil for frying Add to list
- 3 cups marinara sauce (my recipe or your favorite brand) Add to list
- 2 teaspoons each chopped oregano and thyme Add to list
- 12 to 14 thin slices of fresh mozzarella cheese Add to list
- 4 ounces grated Parmigiano Reggiano Add to list
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Dip the slices in the egg and sprinkle both sides with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Fry the slices in vegetable oil over medium heat until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Layer half of the sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish. Place half of the zucchini slices in the bottom. Sprinkle with half of the oregano and thyme. Top with half of the fresh mozzarella and half of the parmigiana. Scatter the capers and chopped basil over the cheese layer. Top with the remaining zucchini, oregano and thyme. Spread the rest of the sauce over the last layer of zucchini and top with the fresh mozzarella and Parmigiana. You may garnish the top with rings of red bell pepper if you like.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on September 12, 2009.