Yum Neua (Thai Grilled Sirloin Steak Salad)
Prep time: 20 minutes (Cooking time: 10 minutes)
Yum Neua is the most famous Thai salad in America. It is known by different names depending on how the chef cooks the beef — other names are Waterfall Beef, Crying Tiger and Laab Neua. This dish is best served with steamed sticky rice.
- 1/2 pound beef sirloin steak Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground red chile powder Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves Add to list
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground toasted jasmine rice* Add to list
Place the steak in a dish and rub both sides with 1 teaspoon of the fish sauce and let marinate for 5 minutes. Charcoal broil, grill or oven-broil the steak to preferred doneness.
Slice and place the strips in a salad bowl and add chile powder, green onion, cilantro, mint and shallots. Just before serving, add remaining fish sauce, lime juice and toasted rice.
* Ground Roasted Rice
Roast glutinous rice, jasmine rice or any long grain rice in oven at 350º F until it becomes light golden (about 5 minutes). Let cool, then place in spice mill or coffee grinder and blend to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container. Can be kept for up to 3 months.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on September 3, 2008, during PCC Edmonds Grand Opening Days