Yum Gai Mamuang (Thai Chicken Mango Salad)
While visiting Phuket, Thailand in early 2006, I discovered a contemporary Thai menu at the Rockfish restaurant, which was voted best restaurant in Phuket in 2005. I realized that Chicken Mango Salad can easily be made at home. Back in Seattle, I was inspired to write this recipe while the flavor and texture of the dish were still fresh in my memory.
- 1 large chicken breast Add to list
- 1/2 mango, peeled and sliced (about 1/2 cup) Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes Add to list
- 2 sliced shallots Add to list
- 1 cup mixed salad greens Add to list
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce Add to list
- 3 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, finely ground Add to list
- 1/4 cup julienned red and green bell peppers, to garnish Add to list
Poach chicken: Put chicken breast in a small pot and cover with water 1/2 inch above the chicken. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken. Plunge chicken in cold water to cool completely.
Shred cooled chicken into small pieces by hand, making about 1 1/2 cups. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use (up to 3 days).
Arrange mango slices on serving plates. In a large bowl, place shredded chicken, cilantro, tomatoes, shallots, mixed salad greens and cashews.
In a small bowl, stir together fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and red pepper flakes to make a dressing. Pour over the salad and toss gently. Place salad over mango slices, garnish with bell peppers and serve.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor