Yum Gai Mamuang (Thai Chicken Mango Salad)
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 6 to 8 minutes
While visiting Phuket, Thailand in early 2006, I discovered a contemporary Thai menu at the Rockfish restaurant, which was voted best restaurant in Phuket in 2005. I realized that Chicken Mango Salad can easily be made at home. Back in Seattle, I was inspired to write this recipe while the flavor and texture of the dish were still fresh in my memory.
- 1 large chicken breast Add to list
- 1/2 ripe mango, peeled and sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes Add to list
- 2 sliced shallots Add to list
- 1 cup mixed salad greens Add to list
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews Add to list
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce Add to list
- 3 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, finely ground Add to list
- 1/4 cup julienned red and green bell peppers, to garnish Add to list
Poach the chicken: Put the chicken breast in a small pot and cover with water 1/2 inch above the chicken. Turn to high heat. When the water comes to a boil, lower to medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes depending on the size of the chicken. Plunge the chicken in cold water and leave it in cold water until it cools down.
Shred the chicken into small pieces by hand, making about 1 1/2 cups. Keep the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use (up to 3 days).
Arrange mango slices on the serving plates. In a large bowl, place shredded chicken, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, shallots, mixed salad greens and cashews.
In a small bowl, mix fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and red pepper flakes to make a dressing. Pour over the salad and stir until mixed. Place salad over the mango slices, garnish with red and green peppers, then serve.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »