Yellow Split Pea Stew
- 2 onions Add to list
- 1 lemon Add to list
- 1 to 2 packages firm tofu Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- Olive oil (as needed for sautéing and roasting, about 1/3 cup) Add to list
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste Add to list
- 1 pound potatoes Add to list
- 1 cup yellow split peas Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Persian spice mix (cumin, coriander, ginger powder, turmeric, saffron, and cinnamon) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon turmeric Add to list
- 1 teaspoon or more salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper Add to list
Sauté sliced onions in one to two tablespoons oil until translucent. Add the spice mix and turmeric and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add water, tomatoes, tomato paste, split peas, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the split peas are cooked.
Dice the potatoes. In a separate bowl, combine two tablespoons oil, spice mix, salt, and pepper, and add the diced potatoes. Toss well, transfer to a cookie sheet, and roast in a 375° F oven for about 30 minutes or until done. Repeat with tofu.
Mix the tofu and potatoes into the stew and serve over steamed rice.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »