Yellow Split Pea Stew
- 2 onions Add to list
- 1 lemon Add to list
- 1 to 2 packages firm tofu Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- Olive oil (as needed for sautéing and roasting, about 1/3 cup) Add to list
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste Add to list
- 1 pound potatoes Add to list
- 1 cup yellow split peas Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Persian spice mix (cumin, coriander, ginger powder, turmeric, saffron, and cinnamon) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon turmeric Add to list
- 1 teaspoon or more salt Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper Add to list
Sauté sliced onions in one to two tablespoons oil until translucent. Add the spice mix and turmeric and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add water, tomatoes, tomato paste, split peas, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the split peas are cooked.
Dice the potatoes. In a separate bowl, combine two tablespoons oil, spice mix, salt, and pepper, and add the diced potatoes. Toss well, transfer to a cookie sheet, and roast in a 375° F oven for about 30 minutes or until done. Repeat with tofu.
Mix the tofu and potatoes into the stew and serve over steamed rice.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor