Yams with Masala Sauce
Serves: 12 as an appetizer.
- 1 pound Red Garnet or Jewel yams Add to list
- 1 large onion, small dice Add to list
- 1 peppercorn Add to list
- 2 cloves Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil Add to list
- 1 cup tomato sauce Add to list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- Salt Add to list
In a large pot boil 1 pound Red Garnet or Jewel yams until tender. Allow to cool and peel the skin. Mash and roll into 1-inch balls. Serve with Masala Sauce.
Heat onion, peppercorn, cloves, garlic, cumin seeds and oil over high heat for about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook unitl soft. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce and water; allow to boil. Lower heat; add black pepper and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor