Yams with Masala Sauce
Serves: 12 as an appetizer.
- 1 pound Red Garnet or Jewel yams Add to list
- 1 large onion, small dice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves Add to list
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped Add to list
- 1 cup tomato sauce Add to list
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste Add to list
- 1 cup water Add to list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
Pierce yams with a fork and place in a large pot with plenty of water. Boil until very tender, about 25 minutes. Allow to cool and remove the skin. Mash and roll into bite-sized balls. Set aside at room temperature.
Add oil to a saucepan and heat on high. Add onion, garlic, cumin seeds and cloves, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, to toast spices and lightly brown the onion. Lower temperature to medium, add tomatoes and cook until soft, 6-8 minutes. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce and water; allow to boil. Reduce heat to low; add pepper and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
Add the yam bites back to the sauce for the last few minutes of cooking, to warm them up. Serve immediately.
Recipe by, former PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »