Yam and Apple Latkes
- 2 to 3 pounds red garnet yams, washed and peeled Add to list
- 1 crisp apple such as Cameo or Granny Smith - washed, cored and quartered Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 2 eggs Add to list
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Pinch of dried ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ginger juice Add to list
- High-heat oil such as safflower or canola Add to list
Using the shredding blade of a food processor or a hand shredder, shred yams and apples. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice to keep them from browning. Combine the yams and apples with remaining ingredients, except for oil.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a hot, lightly oiled griddle or fry pan. Flatten each mound with the back of a spoon and cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side until brown and crisp. You will need to add oil during this process. Drain on brown paper bags.
Keep in warm oven until serving.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »