Yam and Apple Latkes
- 2 to 3 pounds Jewel or Red Garnet yams, washed and peeled Add to list
- 1 crisp apple such as Cameo or Granny Smith - washed, cored and quartered Add to list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- Pinch of ginger Add to list
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten Add to list
- High-heat oil such as safflower or canola, for frying Add to list
Using the shredding blade of a food processor or a hand shredder, shred yams and apples. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice to keep them from browning. Toss together yams and apples with flour, salt and ginger, then stir in beaten egg.
Preheat a griddle or frying pan to medium-high heat and drizzle with a little oil.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto hot griddle. Flatten each mound with the back of a spoon and cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side until brown and crisp. You will need to add oil during this process. Drain on brown paper bags.
Keep in warm oven until serving.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »