Winter Squash Muffins
Yield: Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour Add to list
- 1 cup all purpose flour Add to list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 cup packed grated winter squash Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1/2 cup low fat milk Add to list
- 1/4 cup canola oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar Add to list
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup Add to list
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple Add to list
- 1/2 cup sultana raisins, plumped Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans Add to list
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Combine the flours, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
Combine the grated squash, egg, milk, oil, brown sugar, maple syrup and pineapple in a separate bowl. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Stir in raisins and pecans.
Spoon batter into lightly greased muffin tins, filling cups 2/3 full and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
Each serving: 230 cal, 10g fat (1.5g sat),20mg chol, 190mg sodium, 30g carb, 3g fiber, 5g protein
Source: Sound Consumer, October 2004
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »