Winter Squash, Apple and Blue Cheese Galette
Serves: 4 to 6
Make this free-form savory pie a celebration of local flavors by using winter squash from Rent’s Due Ranch in Stanwood, Wash., apples from River Valley Organics in Tonasket, Wash., and Oregon Blue Cheese from Rogue Creamery in Central Point, Ore.
- 1 pound winter squash – peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon oil Add to list
- Salt and black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon butter Add to list
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion Add to list
- 1/2 apple – halved, cored and cut into thin wedges Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese Add to list
- 1 prepared pie crust Add to list
- 1 egg yolk plus 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash) Add to list
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Toss squash with oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add apple and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; toss with squash and blue cheese.
Place pie crust flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Mound squash mixture in the middle of crust, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold border over filling, pleating the edge (the center will be open). Brush edges with egg wash.
Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into wedges before serving.
Each serving: 290cal, 18g fat (6g sat), 55mg chol, 690mg sodium, 27g carb, 3g fiber, 5g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »