Winter Polenta Breakfast (or Dinner!)
- 4 medium beets with their greens, cleaned Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1/2 onion, chopped Add to list
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water Add to list
- 1 cup polenta Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, divided Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- Splash of balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 4 eggs Add to list
Preheat oven to 425° F. Remove greens from beets and set aside. Place beets in a baking dish with a 1/2-inch of water. Cover with foil and roast until easily pierced with a knife, 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of the beets. Cool slightly and remove skin. Dice the beets and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 7 minutes. Pour in stock or water and bring to a boil. Whisk in polenta in a fine stream. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until polenta is very soft, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in 1/4 cup goat cheese. Divide warm polenta between 4 bowls.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook garlic until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add beet greens and cook until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Fold in diced beets, season with salt and pepper and splash with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Spoon on top of polenta.
Heat remaining oil in the sauté pan. Fry eggs and place on top of beet greens. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining goat cheese. Serve immediately.
Each serving: 330 cal, 15g fat (4.5g sat), 195mg chol, 470mg sodium, 37g carb, 5g fiber, 13g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »