Mixed Winter Citrus and Avocado Salad with Cilantro and Mint
Serves: 4 to 6
It just seems right that in the dark days of winter that citrus, with its eternal sunshine, is at its peak. I love to cook up a pot of black beans — redolent of warmer climes — and accompany them with this bright and colorful salad.
- 1 pink grapefruit Add to list
- 2 navel oranges Add to list
- 2 Cara Cara oranges Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil Add to list
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste Add to list
- Splash hot sauce, to taste Add to list
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks Add to list
Cut a small slice off each end of the grapefruit and stand it upright on a cutting surface. With a knife, remove the peel from the grapefruit in strips, maintaining the curved shape. Holding the grapefruit in one hand, cut out the segments of fruit between the membranes (this is called supreming). Repeat this process with the navel oranges and the Cara Caras.
Very gently toss together all the ingredients except the avocado. Season mixture to your taste and then fold in avocado.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on January 14, 2012.