Mixed Winter Citrus and Avocado Salad with Cilantro and Mint
Serves: 4 to 6
It just seems right that in the dark days of winter that citrus, with its eternal sunshine, is at its peak. I love to cook up a pot of black beans — redolent of warmer climes — and accompany them with this bright and colorful salad.
- 1 pink grapefruit Add to list
- 2 navel oranges Add to list
- 2 Cara Cara oranges Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced green onions Add to list
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- Splash of hot sauce, to taste Add to list
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks Add to list
Cut a small slice off each end of grapefruit and stand upright on a cutting surface. With a knife, remove the peel in strips, maintaining the curved shape. Holding the grapefruit in one hand, cut out the segments of fruit between membranes (this is called supreming). Repeat this process with oranges.
Very gently toss together all ingredients except avocado. Season mixture to taste and then fold in avocado.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on January 14, 2012.