Wild Rice Salad with Roasted Squash and Shallots
A celebration of fall produce and fresh herbs with roasted squash and caramelized shallots. Serve warm or cold.
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 3 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 1 butternut squash – peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes Add to list
- 4 shallots, quartered Add to list
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste Add to list
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard Add to list
- 3 cups baby spinach Add to list
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese Add to list
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet or dish with parchment paper.
Combine rice and stock in a saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the kernels puff open and most of the liquid is absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
Toss together cubed squash, shallots, 2 tablespoons olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Bake until squash is tender and shallots are caramelized, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Gently break apart shallots into smaller pieces.
In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil and Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, gently toss together wild rice, squash, shallots, spinach, feta, cranberries, parsley, walnuts and dressing. Serve warm or cold.