Whole Wheat Strawberry Pancakes
The first six ingredients in this recipe, as well as the maple syrup, can be purchased in our budget-friendly bulk department. Fresh strawberries provide a lovely boost of flavor.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour* Add to list
- 1/4 cup wheat bran Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice Add to list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk Add to list
- 1/2 cup milk Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1 tablespoon melted butter Add to list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup diced strawberries Add to list
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl whisk together next five ingredients. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just barely combined (still lumpy). Quickly stir in strawberries. Some small lumps should remain in the batter.
Heat a lightly greased grill or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Drop batter in in 3-inch rounds. Cook about 1 1/2 minutes per side, until browned. Second side will take slightly less time than the first side. Serve hot, with maple syrup.
*For a lighter pancake, use whole wheat pastry flour and leave out the bran.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »