Whole Roasted Chicken with Plums
Serves: 4 to 6
The mild flavor of the plums will concentrate during roasting, while plenty of garlic and rosemary keep the dish from tasting too sweet.
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken Add to list
- Olive oil, for drizzling Add to list
- 1 orange, zested and halved Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried coriander Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- A few sprigs fresh rosemary, divided Add to list
- 8 firm-ripe plums, halved and pitted Add to list
- 4 shallots, peeled and halved Add to list
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled Add to list
- 1 tablespoon honey Add to list
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or white wine Add to list
Preheat the oven to 425° F.
Drizzle chicken with oil and sprinkle with orange zest, coriander, salt and pepper. Stuff the cavity with the halved orange a few sprigs of rosemary.
Place chicken breast side up in a roasting pan or a large ovenproof skillet. Roast for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F and roast for an additional 20 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices.
Meanwhile, toss together plums, shallots, garlic, honey, stock or wine and a few more rosemary sprigs. Arrange plum mixture around chicken. Roast, basting occasionally with pan juices, until the internal temperature of the chicken taken with an instant-read thermometer reaches 165° F, an additional 20 to 30 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes before carving.
480 cal, 24g fat (6g sat), 165mg chol, 320mg sodium, 21g carb, 2g fiber, 16g sugars, 43g protein