Watermelon Salad with Tomatoes, Feta and Pistachios
Two summer favorites, tomatoes and melons, combine beautifully in this colorful salad.
- 10 cups 1 1/4-inch chunks seedless watermelon (about 7 pounds) Add to list
- About 2 pounds colorful heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut into 1 1/4-inch chunks (about 4 cups) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel or other large-grain sea salt Add to list
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar Add to list
- 3 tablespoons chopped assorted fresh herbs (dill, basil and mint are nice) Add to list
- Black pepper and salt, to taste Add to list
- 6 cups fresh arugula leaves Add to list
- 5 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1 cup) Add to list
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachios Add to list
In a large bowl combine melon and tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and lightly toss to blend; let stand 15 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar and herbs to melon mixture. Season to taste with pepper and more salt, if desired.
In a medium bowl toss arugula with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Divide arugula among plates. Top with melon salad; sprinkle with feta cheese and pistachios and serve.
Each serving: 302 cal, 16.4g fat (4.3g sat), 16mg chol, 323mg sodium, 28.6g carb, 8.6g fiber, 14.8g protein
Source: Sound Consumer, August 2011