Baked Apples with Ginger Cranberry Butter
The aroma of these apples as they bake will fill your kitchen with spice and fruit. They are perfect for brunch or as a beautiful dessert for autumnal meals!
- 4 firm apples Add to list
- 1 lemon, cut in half Add to list
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened Add to list
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger Add to list
- 3 tablespoons toasted chopped hazelnuts Add to list
- 1/4 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon blended with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, for sprinkling Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Peel away 1/2 inch of the peel around the stem end of each apple. Using a melon baller or small, sturdy spoon, scoop out the core. Rub exposed surfaces with lemon juice.
In a bowl, combine butter, cranberries, ginger, hazelnuts and maple syrup. Squeeze in any remaining lemon juice. With your hands or a spoon, smunch all of the ingredients together. (Yes, smunch is a culinary term!)
Fill apples with the mixture. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar blend. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
Choose a firm, flavorful apple variety for baking, like Granny Smith, Braeburn or Fuji.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on September 4, 2010.