Warm Salad of Roasted Asparagus
Tender, crisp and elegant, there are so many ways to prepare our favorite vegetable. This salad, with its combination of warm and cool ingredients and the creamy appeal of chèvre, is a lovely way to highlight the delicious beauty of the season!
- 12 to 24 thin spears asparagus, tough ends removed Add to list
- 2 sweet peppers, any color, seeded and quartered Add to list
- Any other tender spring vegetables you love Add to list
- Extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves Add to list
- Salt and freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 3 to 4 cups mixed baby greens Add to list
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts Add to list
White Truffle Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup aged sherry wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 teapoon fresh thyme Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard Add to list
- Freshly ground pepper Add to list
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil Add to list
Goat cheese medallions
For the vegetables
Preheat oven to 425° F. (Use convection if you have it.) Place the peppers and the asparagus, (and additional vegetables if you choose) in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, fresh basil, salt and pepper. Spread the vegetables out in a single layer on a baking sheet (it may take 2 if you have a lot of vegetables. You want to leave a little room so they will brown.) and roast for 15 minutes, or until the asparagus is crisp-tender.
Note: You may grill the asparagus and peppers if you prefer. Preheat your grill to high and cook the asparagus and peppers, turning occasionally, until slightly charred and crisp tender, about 4 to 6 minutes.
White Truffle Vinaigrette
In a bowl combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil. Blend well. Whip the olive oil in a thin stream into the vinegar mixture until incorporated.
Combine the chèvre and cream cheese. Lay each slice of prosciutto out on a work surface and spread a layer of the cheese on each. Roll each slice up starting at the narrow end. With a knife dipped in hot water, cut the rolls, diagonally, into 4 medallions each.
Toss the mixed greens with a little of the vinaigrette. Divide them between 6 salad plates. Arrange the asparagus, peppers and chèvre medallions artfully over the top of each. Drizzle the entire plate with the vinaigrette and garnish with the hazelnuts, whole basil leaves and lavender blossoms if you have them!
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show which aired on March 15, 2008