Warm Pear Salad
- 2 Bartlett pears, ripe but firm Add to list
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon honey Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Add to list
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin into rings Add to list
- 2 heads Belgian endive, sliced crosswise into 1-inch pieces Add to list
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed Add to list
- 1/4 pound Stilton or Roquefort cheese, crumbled Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar Add to list
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce Add to list
Cut pears lengthwise into quarters. Peel, core and cut each quarter into approximately 1-inch chunks; place in a small bowl. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil, honey, dry mustard, salt and pepper and toss well.
Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and onions, and cook, shaking the skillet a few times, until pears are golden brown and onions are slightly wilted, about 3 minutes.
Transfer pears, onions and any juices to a bowl. Add endive, watercress, cheese, remaining olive oil, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, and toss gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve warm.
Source: Sound Consumer January 2005