Warm Pear and Hazelnut Tea Bread
Yield: 1 loaf
This recipe makes a dense, aromatic and moist quick bread. It's delicious right out of the oven and also is fabulous toasted with a little honey or butter.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional) Add to list
- 1 cup packed brown sugar Add to list
- 1 cup rolled grains such as oats or barley, in any combination Add to list
- 1 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts Add to list
- 2 large eggs, beaten Add to list
- 1/4 cup milk Add to list
- 1/4 cup melted butter Add to list
- 2 juicy ripe pears, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1/3 cup pomegranate or apricot jelly Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, rolled grains and hazelnuts.
Combine eggs and milk in a small bowl and stir in butter. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Fold in pears.
Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
Warm jelly and brush over the surface of the bread.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on October 29, 2011.