Warm Onion and Mozzarella Salad
Fill your body with nutrients and energy by tossing together a hearty and comforting warm salad. Full of flavor and texture, this salad makes a delicious contribution to any meal.
- 3 large red onions Add to list
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, 1/4 inch thick Add to list
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives Add to list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper Add to list
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, roasted, hulled and halved Add to list
- 1/2 cup chopped braising greens Add to list
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice Add to list
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste Add to list
Cut onions in half-moon slices and arrange on a baking sheet. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the skins begin to char. Remove and set aside to cool.
Arrange cheese slices on a serving platter, cover and refrigerate.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil and butter over low heat until the butter has melted. Increase the heat to medium, add the peppers and sauté for 7 to 10 minutes or until translucent. Add onions, chives, parsley, salt and white pepper, and toss. Add the hazelnuts and braising greens, mix briefly and remove from heat.
Remove the cheese from the refrigerator and spoon the mixture over the slices. Season with lemon juice and vinegar and serve immediately.
Source: Sound Consumer January 2005