Warm Apple and Chicken Sausage Salad with Rosemary and Toasted Hazelnuts
- 4 PCC chicken or turkey Italian sausage links Add to list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 1 cup sliced leek Add to list
- 1 tart apple such as Honeycrisp or Cameo, cut into 3/4-inch dice Add to list
- 1 teaspoon finely minced rosemary or 2 to 3 sage leaves, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove Add to list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup Add to list
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 4 to 6 cups mixed salad greens or tender braising greens Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Roast the sausages in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until done through. Cut them into 1/2-inch slices.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a heavy sauté pan and add the leeks. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the apples, sausage and rosemary and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the salad greens and heat through. Arrange the greens on 4 plates and spoon the warm topping over.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on September 21, 2013.