Serves: 6 to 8
The sweetness of raisins is balanced by a generous helping of garam masala and plenty of vegetables.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided Add to list
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into large dice Add to list
- 2 1/2 tablespoons curry powder, divided Add to list
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, divided Add to list
- 1 cup frozen peas Add to list
- 5 to 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ovals Add to list
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic Add to list
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut into large dice Add to list
- 1/3 cup Thompson raisins Add to list
- 5 medium red potatoes, quartered Add to list
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into half-moons Add to list
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy-bottom sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and stir well to coat the onions. Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup water and reduce until onions are moist but not saucy. Cool in a large bowl. Top with frozen peas to speed cooling.
Add another tablespoon oil to the pan and sauté carrots until just soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes and raisins. Add 2 teaspoons curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala to pan. Remove from heat when tomatoes are soft but not disintegrated. Cool in bowl with onions.
In a separate saucepan, steam potatoes for 12 to 14 minutes until cooked but still firm when pierced with a fork.
Add another tablespoon oil to the sauté pan and finish cooking the potatoes with 2 teaspoon curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala. When potatoes are lightly browned, deglaze pan with a little water and stir, reducing until sauce forms. Add potatoes and sauce to the bowl with onions and carrots.
Sauté zucchini in 1 tablespoon oil with remaining 2 teaspoons curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala. Deglaze with water and cool on a baking sheet.
When vegetables are cool, mix together in a large bowl. Adjust seasoning to taste with garam masala and salt. If you’d like more sauce, you can stir in some additional water.