Vegan Cranberry Swirl Ice Cream
Rich and delicious coconut ice cream is swirled with tart cranberries for a beautiful and tasty treat.
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries Add to list
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar Add to list
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick Add to list
- 1-inch piece ginger Add to list
- 1/2 cup orange juice Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest Add to list
- 2 (15-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk, chilled and divided Add to list
- 1/2 cup maple syrup Add to list
- Pinch of salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves Add to list
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch Add to list
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau (optional) Add to list
Combine cranberries, sugar, cinnamon stick, ginger and orange juice in a saucepan. Simmer until cranberries have popped and juices are reduced, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and ginger, puree and pass through a strainer; stir in orange zest. Cool completely. Combine all but 1/4 cup coconut milk, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, ground cinnamon and cloves in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
In a small bowl, whisk remaining 1/4 cup coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into coconut base and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, stir in Cointreau, cover and chill at least 4 hours.
Freeze coconut base in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Spread half the ice cream in a large cake or bread pan, pour half the cranberry sauce over, and swirl in with a knife. Top with remaining ice cream and cranberry sauce and swirl again. Freeze for a few hours or overnight.
No ice cream maker? Swirl the cranberry sauce into any of your favorite prepared ice creams! Allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature then transfer to a cake or bread pan and follow the directions above.
Each serving: 320cal, 23g fat (20g sat), 0mg chol, 170mg sodium, 31g carb, 2g fiber, 2g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »