Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Creamy and rich, you'll never guess this dessert is not only vegan but raw.
- 2 large ripe avocados Add to list
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder Add to list
- 1/2 cup agave nectar, plus more to taste Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract (optional) Add to list
- Raspberries or strawberries, for garnish (optional) Add to list
Halve and pit the avocados and scoop out the flesh. Transfer the avocado flesh to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Using a spoon, break up the avocado a little.
Add the cocoa powder, agave nectar, vanilla extract and almond extract (if using) to the processor and process for 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then process again until the mousse is very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Taste the mousse and if not sweet enough, add more nectar, 1 teaspoon at a time. Pulse to mix.
Spoon the mousse into serving dishes or glasses. Cover each and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
Serve the mousse chilled and garnished with berries.
each serving: 310 cal, 16g fat (3g sat), 0mg chol, 10mg sodium, 47g carb, 10g fiber, 4g protein
Source: Sound Consumer, January 2013