Vegan Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour Add to list
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 cup Rapadura or date sugar Add to list
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder Add to list
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut Add to list
- 5 1/2-ounce can coconut milk Add to list
- 1/4 cup milk (dairy, rice, soy, hemp, almond) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter Add to list
- 1/3 cup maple syrup Add to list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar Add to list
- 1 banana Add to list
Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease or line 12 muffin tins.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cocoa powder and coconut. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine coconut milk, milk, coconut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, vinegar and banana. Using an immersion blender, mix ingredients until creamy. You can use a regular blender or a whisk if you don’t have an immersion blender.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until all ingredients are incorporated.
Pour batter equally into muffin tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool. Frost and decorate.
To make plain coconut cupcakes, omit the cocoa powder and increase the flour by 1/3 cup.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor