Vegan Carrot Coconut Bisque
- 8 carrots, chopped Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1/8 cup minced shallots Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sea salt Add to list
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour Add to list
- 1 cup vegetable stock Add to list
- 1 1/2 cup light coconut milk Add to list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
Steam carrots until soft, about 7 to 9 minutes. While steaming, heat olive oil in large soup pot and sauté shallots, pepper and salt until shallots are translucent.
Stir in flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Slowly stir in stock and cook until mixture thickens. Add carrots to stock mixture and then puree until very smooth. Add coconut milk and puree again. Return to pot and stir in basil and nutmeg. Heat on low just until basil wilts (do not overcook or the coconut milk will lose it's delicate flavor). Garnish with fresh sprigs of basil.