Vegan Béchamel Sauce
This sauce is used in Vegan "Cheesy" Lasagna.
- 1/2 stick vegan margarine Add to list
- 8-ounce tub of cream cheese substitute Add to list
- 1/3 cup flour Add to list
- 1 cup vegetable or vegetarian chicken-flavored broth Add to list
- 3 tablespoons Ener-G egg replacer Add to list
- 2 cups unsweetened soymilk Add to list
- 1 or 2 good pinches of Vignalta herb salt Add to list
- 6 to 15 drops white truffle oil (err on the side of less, you always can add more) Add to list
Using a large whisk, combine margarine and cream cheese substitute in a large soup pot on medium-low heat. When smooth and well-combined, add the remaining ingredients one at a time, alternating between dry and liquid ingredients.
Turn up the heat to medium-high, stirring constantly. Be sure to get around the edges of the bottom of the pot. The sauce must boil to reach its full thickening level. If it gets too thick, add more liquid. If too thin, add more flour and or egg replacer. When you have the desired thickness (should be similar to a thick pudding or ricotta-like density), taste it — does it need more herb salt? Does it need more truffle oil? When you’re satisfied with the cheesiness of the flavor, remove from heat and let cool while you assemble your lasagna. Cooling should thicken it further.
Recipe by, PCC Grocery Merchandiser
Source: September 2009