Sparkling Upside-Down Clementine and Blackberry Coffee Cake
Serves: 6 to 8
This gorgeous and simple coffee cake is fragrant with winter citrus and glistening with blackberries. What an unexpected and delightful combination!
- 12 tablespoons butter (divided) Add to list
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar Add to list
- 3/4 cup frozen blackberries, thawed and drained Add to list
- Juice and zest of 2 to 3 Clementine oranges (you will need 1/2 cup of juice) Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups flour Add to list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar Add to list
- Clementine orange slices (for garnish) Add to list
- Powdered sugar (for garnish) Add to list
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a 9-inch cake pan, lined with a circle of parchment, spread 4 tablespoons of butter thickly over the surface. Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Distribute the berries over the surface of the brown sugar mixture.
In a small pan, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter. Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of Clementine juice, the zest, egg and vanilla extract. Beat well.
Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and granulated sugar in a bowl and add the butter-egg-citrus mixture. Beat until smooth. Pour the batter over the berries and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the pan cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto a serving plate.
You may garnish it with slices of fresh Clementine and a sprinkling of powdered sugar if you so desire.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show, which aired on January 1, 2011.