Upside-down Cheese Fondue
Serves: 6 to 8
Whether you’re creating a romantic environment for 2 or a festive party for a group, this recipe goes together in a flash and never fails to please.
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, grated Add to list
- 4 ounces aged gouda, grated Add to list
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour Add to list
- 1 cup dry white wine Add to list
- 1 teaspoon grated shallots Add to list
- Pinch of nutmeg Add to list
- Salt and white pepper, to taste Add to list
- Accompaniments for dipping (see note) Add to list
Toss the cheeses with the flour. Place the wine and shallots in a heavy pot over medium heat and bring to a light simmer. Stir in the cheese a little at a time until the mixture is smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Add the remaining ingredients and keep warm until ready to serve.
Arrange your favorite accompaniments on individual plates for each guest. Just before serving, drizzle the fondue over the top.
Accompaniments for dipping (use any combination):
- Roasted potatoes
- Sliced apples and pears
- Roasted root vegetables
- Roasted winter squash
- Steamed broccoli
- Roasted cauliflower
- Roasted mushrooms
- Roasted Brussels sprouts
- Roasted asparagus
- Artisanal breads