Tuscan Cannellini and Kale Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil Add to list
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, sliced Add to list
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced Add to list
- 1 stalk celery, sliced Add to list
- 2 carrots, sliced Add to list
- 2 red potatoes, diced into bite-size pieces Add to list
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or veggie stock Add to list
- 1 bunch kale (lacinato preferred), thick stems removed and finely cut into a chiffonade Add to list
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans, undrained Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Heat oil in a 4-quart soup pot over medium heat; add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until just beginning to get fragrant and the garlic has turned lightly golden. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the potatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
Add the kale and return to a boil; turn heat down and let simmer until the kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the beans, heat through and adjust for salt and pepper.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2013.