Brussels Sprouts with White Beans, Pasta and Hazelnuts
Serves: 4 to 6
The colors are glorious and the combination of the tender pasta with crunchy sprouts is delicious. It can be served as a side dish with roasted meats or as a simple one-dish meal on its own.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved Add to list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage Add to list
- 2 cups cooked white beans Add to list
- 2 cups cooked penne pasta Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts Add to list
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes Add to list
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth Add to list
- 1/2 lemon , juiced, plus wedges for serving Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley or fresh basil Add to list
Cook Brussels sprouts in boiling, salted water 4 to 6 minutes or until tender but still green. Drain and refresh in cold water. (You may also steam or roast them if you prefer.)
In a wide sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat and add garlic and sage. Cook for a few seconds until aromatic. Stir in Brussels sprouts; cook for 30 seconds more. Toss in white beans, pasta, hazelnuts and tomatoes. Add chicken or vegetable broth and cook gently until heated through.
Squeeze lemon juice over and season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with lemon wedges and chopped parsley or basil.
Recipe by, PCC Chef
Source: Demonstrated on KING 5's "Gardening with Ciscoe" show aired on November 15, 2008