Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Serves: 6 to 8
Prep time: 30 minutes
This flavorful vegetarian soup is great for a family supper or a crowd. It doubles easily and keeps well for a few days in the fridge.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil Add to list
- 1 small onion, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped Add to list
- Small piece of jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional) Add to list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Add to list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 1 15-ounce can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained. Add to list
- 1 package frozen corn (thawed) or 2 to 3 ears corn with kernels trimmed from the cob Add to list
- 1 quart of vegetable broth (I like Imagine Food's Organic No Chicken Broth) Add to list
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped Add to list
- 1 dried chipotle pepper or a pinch of chipotle powder Add to list
Heat oil in a large soup pot and sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper, if using, until just soft. Sprinkle with oregano and cumin. Add beans, corn, broth, tomato and chipotle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
Toss chips on top of each ladled bowl of soup. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Recipe by, Soup Queen and PCC Cooks Instructor
Source: Sound Consumer, March 2007
Demonstrated at PCC's Healthy Living Fair in Edmonds, 2009.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »