Tortilla Black Bean Casserole
- 1/2 large onion, chopped Add to list
- 1 clove garlic, minced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Add to list
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 can of chopped tomatoes with juice Add to list
- 1/3 cup salsa Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin Add to list
- 15-ounce can black beans, drained Add to list
- 6 corn tortillas Add to list
- 1 cup grated cheddar, Jack or colby cheese Add to list
- 1 cup shredded lettuce Add to list
- 2 green onions, sliced Add to list
- 1 small can sliced black olives, rinsed Add to list
Preheat oven to 350º F. In a medium saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes. Add red pepper and cook for 3 minutes more. Add tomatoes and juice, salsa and cumin. Heat to boiling then remove from heat and add beans.
In an 8- by 8-inch baking dish, spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom. Top with 3 tortillas, overlapping as necessary. Add another 1/3 of the bean mixture and top with remaining tortillas. Spread the last 1/3 of the bean mixture over the top. Cover the dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Remove from oven, uncover and top with cheese. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes until the cheese melts. To serve, cut into pieces.
Top with lettuce, green onions and olives.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Sound Consumer March 2009