Tomato, Curry and Rice Soup
Perfect for those cool days in early spring, this delicious soup satisfies the craving for food that is filling but leaning toward lighter fare.
- 1 1/2 cup onion, chopped Add to list
- 2 tablespoons butter Add to list
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder Add to list
- 5 cups canned tomatoes Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoons thyme Add to list
- 2 cups chicken broth Add to list
- a dash Tabasco Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 bay leaf Add to list
- 1/2 cup rice Add to list
- 1 cup milk Add to list
- 1 cup half-and-half, milk or Greek yogurt Add to list
Melt butter in a large stockpot and sauté onion until wilted. Add all ingredients through rice and cook for 45 minutes over medium-low heat.
Remove the bay leaf and puree in batches in the blender. Return to pot, and stir in milk and half-and-half. Re-warm and serve with crusty French bread.