Yield: Makes 1 1/2 to 2 cups
You can serve this versatile chutney with roti, paratha and naan. It also works well as a spread for grilled vegetable sandwiches and thinned with some yogurt, it makes a quick appetizer dip. It will keep well in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and is a great make-ahead dish.
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil Add to list
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds Add to list
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric Add to list
- 15-ounce can diced tomatoes OR 1 pound fresh Roma tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups) Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts Add to list
- 1/4 cup roasted white sesame seeds Add to list
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; when they start to sizzle, add the red pepper flakes, turmeric and tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and release their juices, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to caramelize, about 3 to 5 minutes more. (If using fresh tomatoes that are extra juicy, the caramelization may take longer.)
Add salt and sugar, peanuts and sesame seeds and mix well. Cook for about 1 minute longer then remove from heat. Cool for about 5 minutes then blend in a food processor until smooth. There may be a few sesame seeds that remain whole. Adjust salt and sugar if desired.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2013.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »