Tom Kha Ja (Coconut Ginger Vegetable Soup)
Serves: 6 dinner-size portions, 12 sides
- 5 tablespoons canola oil Add to list
- 8 ounces tofu, diced Add to list
- 1/2 carrot, diced (about 1/2 cup) Add to list
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup) Add to list
- 8 button mushrooms, stems removed and diced Add to list
- 3 cups water Add to list
- 3 Thai or serrano chile peppers, smashed Add to list
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and smashed Add to list
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, cut into 8 pieces and smashed Add to list
- 8 lime leaves, or peel of 1 lime Add to list
- 4 shallots, trimmed, peeled and smashed Add to list
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1 cup) Add to list
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels Add to list
- 1 jalapeño pepper, peeled and diced Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt Add to list
- 1/4 cup coconut milk Add to list
- 4 tablespoons lime juice Add to list
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves Add to list
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (the top layer on canned coconut milk) Add to list
Heat a wok and add 3 tablespoons of the oil; fry tofu until all sides have a golden crust. Remove tofu and set aside. In the same wok with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, sauté carrot, onion and mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes until translucent and fragrant. Place the vegetable mixture in a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
When water comes to a boil, stir in chile peppers, lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves or peel and shallots. Let boil for 5 minutes, than add zucchini, corn and jalapeño and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in salt, coconut milk and lime juice.
To serve the soup, divide equally among 6 soup bowls, add tofu and garnish with cilantro and 1 teaspoon of coconut cream.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor
Source: Demonstrated on the PCC Cooks stage at Vegfest 2011.
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »