Tofu Sweet Potato Pie
Serves: 6 to 8
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
Use purchased crust, or prepare a graham-cracker-crumb crust or other single crust in a 9-inch standard pie pan.
- 1 pound silken style tofu, firm or extra firm Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups baked sweet potato or yam pulp (see note) Add to list
- 1large lemon, juiced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sweet molasses (optional) Add to list
- 1-inch fresh ginger root, grated and squeezed Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional) Add to list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom Add to list
- 1 prepared pie crust Add to list
Preheat oven to 375° F.
In blender or food processor, combine all ingredients (except pie crust) until smooth. Start with the smaller amount of sweetener and spices where indicated. Taste and add more sweetener or spices if desired. This is to accommodate the wide variance in both natural sweetness of sweet potatoes and your own taste.
Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350° F. Continue to bake until the texture becomes firm and small cracks form (just as with standard sweet potato or pumpkin pies).
You may substitute canned pumpkin or baked squash for the sweet potato.
Serve with your favorite topping, such as frozen yogurt, whipped cream or frozen sweetened soy yogurt.