Tofu Sweet Potato Pie
Serves: 6 to 8
Yield: One 9-inch pie
Prep time: 10 to 20 minutes to assemble; 60 minutes baking
Use purchased crust, or prepare a graham-cracker-crumb crust or other single crust in a 9- inch standard pie pan.
- 1 pound silken style tofu, firm or extra firm Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups pulp, scraped from baked sweet potatoes or yams (or pumpkin or squash) Add to list
- Juice of one large lemon Add to list
- 1 tablespoon real vanilla Add to list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sweet molasses (optional) Add to list
- Juice of 1-inch fresh ginger root, grated and squeezed Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt(optional) Add to list
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg Add to list
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom Add to list
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In blender or food processor, combine all ingredients until very creamy smooth, using smaller amount of sweetening or spices where indicated. Taste and add more sweetening or spices if desired. This is to accommodate the wide variance in both natural sweetness and your own tastebuds.
Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake in preheated oven at 375°F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F until done. When done, texture will be firm and may form small cracks, just as with standard sweet potato or pumpkin pies, and will become even firmer as pie cools.
Serve with your favorite topping such as frozen yogurt or whipped cream, or for a non-dairy topping, freeze purchased, sweetened soy yogurt.