Toasted Millet Salad with Roasted Fennel, Tangerines and Avocado
Serves: 6 to 8
Toasting the millet before cooking helps to bring out the natural nuttiness of this gluten-free grain.
- 1 cup millet Add to list
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock Add to list
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided Add to list
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, divided Add to list
- 2 fennel bulbs – stalks removed, halved and cut into 1-inch wedges Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar Add to list
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard Add to list
- 4 tangerine oranges, peeled and segmented Add to list
- 1 avocado, sliced Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives Add to list
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint Add to list
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add millet and toast, stirring frequently, until light brown and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Carefully add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until millet is tender and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425° F. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Toss with fennel and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet in the oven until fennel is tender and golden, 20 to 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes to prevent sticking.
Whisk together remaining oil, orange juice, balsamic vinegar and mustard. Combine dressing, cooked millet, fennel, tangerine oranges, avocado, olives and mint in a large bowl. Serve immediately.
Each serving: 300 cal, 15g fat (2g sat), 0mg chol, 340mg sodium, 38g carb, 10g fiber, 5g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »