Kao Tom Gai Sai Kai (Thai Rice Soup with Chicken and Egg)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons high-heat oil Add to list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Add to list
- 1/4 cup ground chicken or pork Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Add to list
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce Add to list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth Add to list
- 1 cup steamed jasmine rice Add to list
- 1 egg Add to list
- 1 tablespoon thinly shredded fresh ginger Add to list
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced Add to list
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro Add to list
- Pinch of ground white pepper Add to list
Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat, then add garlic. Stir constantly; when garlic turns yellow, remove half the garlic and reserve for a garnish. Stir in chicken and cook, then season with salt and soy sauce. Add chicken broth and jasmine rice and cook on medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
When the soup reaches the desired thickness, it is almost ready to serve. Crack the egg and drop in the center of the soup. You may stir it in or poach it in the hot soup — it can take from 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on preferred doneness for the egg.
Pour soup into a serving bowl and top with reserved fried garlic, ginger, green onions, cilantro and a pinch of white pepper.
You may use cold leftover rice or cooked warm rice.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor