Thai Basil Beef with Coconut Rice
- 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed and drained Add to list
- 3/4 cup coconut milk Add to list
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided Add to list
- Salt, to taste Add to list
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional) Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce Add to list
- 2 teaspoons tamari Add to list
- 1 teaspoon sugar Add to list
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided Add to list
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Add to list
- 1 or 2 red chiles, seeded and chopped Add to list
- 1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced against the grain Add to list
- 1 each red, yellow and green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced Add to list
- Handful of fresh basil leaves Add to list
Combine rice, coconut milk, 1 cup water and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, cover and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine oyster sauce, fish sauce, tamari, remaining 1 tablespoon water and sugar; set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat; add garlic and chiles, stir-frying for 15 seconds until fragrant. Add beef and cook until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove beef to a plate.
Add remaining oil and cook bell peppers until just soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beef and sauce and heat through. Toss in basil leaves and remove from heat. Serve over coconut rice.
Each serving: 590cal, 26g fat (13g sat), 50mg chol, 750mg sodium, 50g carb, 2g fiber, 38g protein
Learn more about our recipes. View guidelines »