- 8-ounce package organic tempeh Add to list
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin coconut oil Add to list
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced Add to list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Add to list
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced Add to list
- 1 teaspoon oregano Add to list
- 2 teaspoons basil Add to list
- 2 teaspoons thyme Add to list
- 8 ounces shiitake or crimini mushrooms, chopped Add to list
- 1/2 cup red wine Add to list
- 1/4 cup marsala wine Add to list
- 15-ounce can organic chopped tomatoes Add to list
- 1 tablespoon organic Rapadura sugar Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
Crumble the tempeh in a food processor by pulsing 5 to 6 times.
In a medium pot, combine oil and tempeh and sauté over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, herbs and mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes.
Add red wine and marsala and let simmer for 5 minutes until the wine has evaporated. Add the chopped tomatoes and sugar and let simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with cooked pasta or polenta.
If desired, add seasonal vegetables such as green beans, carrots, celery, zucchini, green peas, broccoli, kale or chard. This recipe freezes well.
Recipe by, PCC Cooks instructor