This is a fun vegetarian twist on an old, meaty classic. If you're hungry, this recipe makes two very hearty sandwiches.
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh Add to list
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce Add to list
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced or 2 teaspoons dried Add to list
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast Add to list
- 1 teaspoon onion powder Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds Add to list
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds Add to list
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar Add to list
- Salt and pepper, to taste Add to list
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water Add to list
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil, for frying (optional) Add to list
- Thousand Island dressing or mustard Add to list
- 4 or 8 slices rye or sourdough bread Add to list
- 1 cup sauerkraut Add to list
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (optional) Add to list
Slice tempeh in half, creating two equal pieces, then again crosswise, to create four equal squares.
Combine Worcestershire sauce, dill, nutritional yeast, onion powder, caraway seeds, celery seeds, vinegar, salt, pepper and broth in a large sealable bag. Add tempeh and mix well. Refrigerate overnight, turning bag two or three times.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Place tempeh in a baking dish and coat with 2 to 3 tablespoons marinade. Bake, loosely covered with aluminum foil, for 15 minutes.
Alternately, pan fry in hot oil and cook tempeh until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Spread Thousand Island dressing or mustard on bread; add tempeh, sauerkraut, cheese and second slice of bread. Grill, or serve as is.
Recipe by, former PCC staff